Something went wrong, please try again later.
Invalid email Something went wrong, please try again later.
Don’t miss a beat from the dawn of the Potter era – sign up for the free Chelsea newsletter
Cristiano Ronaldo has been heavily linked with some of the world’s richest clubs following his exit from Manchester United. The 37-year-old striker is now a free agent after the Red Devils confirmed that he has left the club with immediate effect.
The Portugal international had already been heavily linked with an exit from Old Trafford on a number of occasions this season but a revealing TV interview with Piers Morgan was the final straw. United were said to be ‘furious’ after the TV attack of the club caught them by surprise, with the five-time Ballon d’Or winner claiming that he felt betrayed.
United sought legal advice and the Portuguese star was subsequently allowed to leave the club. With Ronaldo on the market and readily available to sign, he’ll be looking to impress more than ever at the World Cup in a bid to find a new home.
With that in mind, football.london takes a look at all the latest news regarding Ronaldo’s situation.
Ronaldo leaves Man Utd
On Tuesday evening, November 22, United confirmed that Ronaldo would leave the club with immediate effect. A statement from the Red Devils read: “Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect. The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford.”
Response to leaving Old Trafford
Ronaldo himself has released a statement, confirming the time is right to seek a new challenge. He said: “Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early.
“I love Manchester United. And I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge.”
Ronaldo has been heavily fined and handed a two-match ban by the Football Association for knocking a fan’s mobile phone to the ground. He was making his way towards the tunnel at Goodison Park when the altercation occurred following the Red Devils’ 1-0 defeat to Everton back in April.
The suspension means that Ronaldo is banned for two games should he join a Premier League club. If he is to join the Blues, then he would miss clashes against Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest before becoming available to face Manchester City.
The veteran striker was charged with ‘improper and/or violent’ conduct by the FA following the incident in Merseyside last April. An FA statement said: “Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended for two matches, fined £50,000 and warned as to his future conduct for a breach of FA Rule E3.
“The forward admitted that his conduct after the final whistle of the Premier League game between Manchester United FC and Everton FC on Saturday 9 April 2022 was improper. An independent Regulatory Commission found that his conduct was both improper and violent during a subsequent hearing, and imposed these sanctions.”
Agent prepares talks
According to CBS journalist Ben Jacobs, Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes will offer his client to the Blues, but a move ‘remains complicated’. The report confirms that Tuchel was a primary ‘roadblock’ in negotiations last summer, with the German refusing to hold serious discussions over signing the striker.
Bayern Munich confusion
According to the Daily Mail, Ronaldo and his agent Mendes met officials from Bayern Munich in the first week of November. German outlet BILD have claimed otherwise, stating that a meeting did not take place and the German giants are not, in fact, interested in the Portuguese veteran.
Potter has already given Ronaldo verdict
Ronaldo left Old Trafford early after ten Hag refused to bring him on against Tottenham Hotspur last month, something Chelsea boss Graham Potter was later asked about in a press conference of his own.
“Well, I can’t really comment because I don’t know the ins and outs,” he said. “But he’s [ten Hag] taken his stance. Sometimes you have to do that. And then you need the club’s support, and from the outside, that’s what has happened.
“Well, it’s difficult for me to comment because I don’t know the actual context, I don’t know what’s really happened, I don’t want to go off headlines and things like that. Part of the job is to take some decisions that are difficult, but that’s normal.”
Read more here.
Ronaldo sounds out move
football.london understand that Chelsea sounded out a move for Ronaldo in July. The Athletic reported that Boehly met with the striker’s agent Jorge Mendes in the summer to discuss a number of topics. However, Tuchel was a roadblock in negotiations, and the deal eventually collapsed.
Boehly interest …