Transfers

Atletico Madrid ‘REJECTED chance to sign Gareth Bale on free transfer once he leaves Real’

Daily Mail Online

Atletico Madrid have turned down the chance to sign Gareth Bale on a free transfer this summer, according to reports in Spain.

The 32-year-old Welshman is set to leave city rivals Real Madrid after a topsy-turvy nine-year stint with the club.

And Spanish radio station Cadena COPE claim the former Tottenham star’s services were offered to Atletico Madrid in a meeting between his agents and the Spanish club’s sporting director Andrea Berta.

Atletico Madrid have reportedly turned down the chance to sign Gareth Bale on a free transfer Atletico Madrid have reportedly turned down the chance to sign Gareth Bale on a free transfer

Atletico Madrid have reportedly turned down the chance to sign Gareth Bale on a free transfer

Bale's agents - including Jonathan Barnett - are said to have offered him to Real Madrid's rivals Bale's agents - including Jonathan Barnett - are said to have offered him to Real Madrid's rivals

Bale’s agents – including Jonathan Barnett – are said to have offered him to Real Madrid’s rivals

However, the report claims the club’s technical director told his representatives – led by the executive chairman of ICM Stellar Sports Jonathan Barnett – that while they appreciated the offer, they did not see him as part of their plans.

It comes with the same outlet adding Bale would like to stay in Madrid if possible, especially because his family appear settled, given that they remained in the Spanish capital during his loan spell back at Spurs in the 2020-21 season.

However, speaking last week, Barnett hinted a decision on Bale’s future will depend on whether Wales make their first World Cup for 64 years.

‘He leaves Real Madrid, but it all depends on whether Wales qualify, then we will make a decision,’ Barnett told Portuguese newspaper Record.

But Atletico sporting director Andrea Berta (above) is believed to have rejected the offer But Atletico sporting director Andrea Berta (above) is believed to have rejected the offer

But Atletico sporting director Andrea Berta (above) is believed to have rejected the offer

‘Is it more likely to return to England? I think so, but we’ll have to wait and see if Wales qualify for the World Cup.’

Wales boss Robert Page has named skipper Bale in a 27-man squad for the World Cup play-off final against Scotland or Ukraine in Cardiff on June 5.

The Welshman however will go into the Scotland play-off without much match practice under his belt. 

Bale has made just two cameo substitute appearances for Real Madrid since scoring both goals in Wales’ 2-1 World Cup play-off victory over Austria on March 24. 

Read more – Daily Mail Online

What's your reaction?

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.
Leave Comment